Some of the best essential oils for Autumn are leaves, needles and twigs as they relate to immune support, respiratory functions, a sense of expansion and pain relief. They also relate to the throat and heart chakras, representing clarity, breath and self-expression.
These parts of the plant are its own respiration system, giving it fresh air to breathe, and allowing it to exhale oxygen, which we need to survive. This symbiosis we have with the plant kingdom allows us to reap benefits from these oils relating to a sense of expansion and the affects of deep breathing – like anti-anxiety, ability to express oneself, and clarity of purpose.
Chemistry of Leaves, Needles and twigs
Typically these plant parts carry a large proportion of 5 chemical families that help with respiratory functions, pain relief, and protective anti-microbial properties:
- Monoterpenes – these are your Pines, Spruces and Firs, as well as Marjoram and Myrtle. They offer anti-bacterial, anti-antioxidant, quenching, penetrating and balancing properties.
- Monoterpenols – this family of leaves includes Neroli, Rose, Geranium, Basil, Peppermint and Tea Tree. These oils also have anti-microbial, anti-inflammatory and anti-oxidant properties. They offer immune support, and have anti-viral and decongestant benefits.
- Ketones – These strong oils are anti-viral, analgesic and wound healing. Leaves and needles high in ketones include Rosemary and Sage.
- Oxides – Oxides are also a strong chemical family that is great for respiration as well as being anti-viral and anti-inflammatory, so they are wonderful in medicinal blends. Leaf oils high in oxides include Sage, Eucalyptus, Rosemary and Myrtle.
- Aldehydes. All lemon-y scents are in the Aldehyde family, and leaves high in aldehydes includes Lemon Verbena, Lemon Myrtle and Melissa. This family lends a wonderful scent profile to our blends, while also being anti-fungal, anti-viral, calming and sedative.
Make a Beautiful Blend featuring Leaves, Needles & Twig-derived Essential Oils
The recipes below use “parts” so you can make any quantity you’d like. Use drops in a diluted rollerball application or directly into your diffuser, or 1/4 teaspoon as the part quantity to make a full 15ml bottle (3 teaspoons).
Forest Floor Fall Immunity Blend
Protective Breath Blend
- Eucalyptus, polybractea – 4 parts
- Lemon Myrtle – 4 parts
- Rosemary – 2 parts
- Sage – 1 part
- Tea Tree – 1 part